Tuesday, March 4, 2008

X marks the spot.

Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

When Jesus was still with us here on Earth, he woke us up to a many number of things. Throughout time, some things have never changed. The search for power, glory, domination and money are timeless. With our sinful nature, these things will always be in the true nature of our being. Jesus taught us that all of the things of this world will pass. Nothing will remain behind not even the Heavens and the old Earth. Seems kinda pointless to worry about wealth here on Earth. We can however build up treasures in Heaven.

Apryl has a Great Grandmother (Alva) that is still living. She has lived a wonderously full life, and walked with God through out it. There are times when I look at her, and watch her moving around. I see the pain of her arthritis, the frustrations of requiring others to help her to simply walk but most importantly, I see the love she has for everyone around her. In John 13:34, Jesus says "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." When I look at Alva, it is obvious that she lives by this.

I truly try to love everyone that I know. Sometimes it is more difficult to show that love and interact with them, but I can honestly say that I do love them and want to be with them for all eternity. I truly abhor the thought of not having even one of them for all Eternity. (I pointed out the scripture so they couldn't deny me...) Although it has taken me some time to see things for how they really are, I now know what my true treasures are. It is the Friends and Family that I have, and love. THEY are my treasure!

Think about those that you count as your treasures, and pray for them. Pray that they too will be drawn to God and recieve eternal salvation. Then when we, like Alva, get old and gray with most of our friends and family having passed on, we may truly understand Matthew 6:21. "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

No comments: