Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 15 – Numbers 13:25-33

I come to the midway point of this study today and find that the tone of this passage reflects my mood. I have and am still struggling with my place in God’s plan. Like the people of Israel, I feel like a grasshopper within my own sight and within the sight of our people.

Today’s passage reminds me that I have been called by God and that He will be my strength for his purpose. With that strength, I will be able to stand and proclaim the word of God. Whether it is leading the people through God’s calling to preach or the more daunting task of continually exhorting the people like Joshua and Caleb, I will serve Him.

This people that we live among are very much like the Israelites. They too are a people who have been led to a Land of Milk and Honey, but refuse to cross over. The Giants are different, but the temptation of the world outside remains. Such abundance they have had in this world that there is not a sense of longing for better things. They have never known the wilderness and hunger. They simply want to stay in the world and then die.

I fear however that they too will soon discover that their fears will soon enough be realized. There will come a day when God will close the doors and the opportunities to enter the Promised Land will no longer be open. All can walk up to the gates of the land but only the children of God will be allowed to enter.

This world truly is a land that devours its inhabitants and all the opposition in this land is truly of great stature. We have been commanded however to subdue it. So come let us follow the words of Caleb “Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to overcome it.” If God is with us, who can be against us.

No comments: